Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 1997 12:18:30 -0600 (CST)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Chat)
Subject:   Re: Commerical applications (was: Development and validation tools...)

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
>> maybe this should really be moved to chat ?
>
> Done
>
>> I talked to a German journalist at a trade show last year (from iX,
>> one of the better UNIX rags here), and basically told him that they
>> had too much of a Linux bent. His reply was basically "we can't publish
>> articles we don't have."
>
> Precisely.
>
>> The German magazines seem to think that there are only 4 OSes: DOS,
>> WINDOWS, NT and Linux. Whenever they talk about a non-M$ OS (although
>> one can argue that M$ doesn't have any real OS), then it's ALWAYS Linux.
>> Even the UNIX rags are like that.
>
> I think this is our fault more than anything else.  As you just noted,
> if nobody provides them with articles to publish about FreeBSD then
> the OS world is going to look somewhat smaller to someone in the
> publishing business.

I don't have a problem with writing articles about FreeBSD.  I *do*
have a problem with iX, for whom I wrote a number of articles
(including, to the best of my knowledge, the very first article in any
magazine about BSD/386).  I find the people stubborn, arrogant and
stupid.  I have therefore decided not to have anything to do with them
again.

> The question is, what are we going to do about it?  I'd love to write
> articles for every magazine on the planet, but I haven't got the
> time. :-(

Well, yes, maybe I have that problem.

Greg