Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 1998 09:31:47 -0600
From:      Frank Griffith <frankg@idfw.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Support

I am a new user with FreeBSD and UNIX for that matter, but I really like
the format I have found wih FreeBSD and I plan to use it as my Web
Server, once I get over the learning curve.

Over the past three weeks I have pummelled you guys with requests
for information and how to things. The response from all of you has
been wonderful and enthusiatic. But I guess I'm just not getting the
word across as I have yet to be able to get done what I need done.

If I may offer this one bit of constructive critism about the support
answers I have gotten to date. Lets say you've never driven a car
before. You know how to ride a motorcyle, but you've never driven
a car. You ask someone how to get the car to drive down the road.
Their answer is put your hands on the steering wheel and press the
gas pedal on the right. Okay, you get in the car and put your hands
on the steering wheel and press the gas pedal on the right. The car
sits their and does nothing. Remember, you are an expert motorcylist
so you look for the start button. Well cars don't come with start buttons
and you're still sitting there. If the person who had told you how to drive
the car had just given you a little more information, like place the key
in the ignition switch and start the car first, everything would be just
dandy.

I really don't need someone to hold my hand through all this, but I have
tried now for three weeks to make a PPP connection to install a port
via the Internet. My install of FreeBSD went okay of the Internet, so
I figure cool I should be able to get back and FTP etc... All my request
for information on this have left me nowhere. While I have received
several replies, nothing you guys suggest works and I'm stumped.

Let me list each step I'm taking and if you can just point out what
I need to do different, I think I can make this happen! Remember,
don't assume I'm doing anything else in between these steps.
This is exactly and only what I am doing.

1. I start my FreeBSD system and login as root.

2. At the # prompt I typed ftp ftp.cdrom.com. (as instructed by one of you)
   I get this line echoed on the display - ftp: ftp.cdrom.com: Unknown host

3. I assume that I must make a ppp connection first so I type quit at the
   ftp> prompt and press <Enter>

4. Back at the # prompt I type ppp<Enter>.

5. I type term<Enter>.

6. I type atdtxxxxxx-xxxx (x = the phone number to my ISP)<Enter>

7. I get a connection and login to my ISP.

8. I see this line:
    PPP session from (206.66.11.193) to 206.66.11ppp ON > Packet Mode

9. I then get this prompt PPP ON >.

I've experimented around from here, but can't put 2 and 2 together. ! gets
me back to the # prompt where I've tried the ftp part again, but I keep
getting the Unknow host message.

So how do I make both things happen at once, if that's what's required?
Thanks again for your replies. I certainly am glad you're trying to help.