Date:      Wed, 02 Jan 2013 11:08:24 -0500
From:      Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: is csup broken?

Polytropon wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 10:34:54 -0500, Fbsd8 wrote:
>> Polytropon wrote:

>>> Maybe this is related to the removal of CVS-related services
>>> for obtaining src and ports?
>>>
>>> Have you tried checking out via SVN which now is the desired
>>> default method (even though it's not integrated in the base
>>> install and the "make" scripting mechanism)?
>>>

>> This is a catch 22 problem.
>>
>> How can I use svn when it's not part of the 9.1 base release?
>> Have to csup it down first and csup is broken.
>
> You actually don't _have_ to use CSV.
>
> You can install SVN from binary packages via the new "pkg" command
> (pkgng instead of traditional pkg_* tools).
>
> Or you can obtain a ports tree first with portsnap or from the
> installation media you've been using, install svn from this,
> and then continue using svn to obtain updates for ports (and
> src, if you want).
>
> However, you're right about the fact that svn isn't part of the
> base installation (yet?) and it doesn't fully integrate with
> what worked with CVS for many years.

Still behind the 8 ball.

The new "pkg" is not part of the base in 9.1
and there is no ftp packages for 9.1 and the
disc1.iso media I installed from has no packages.

I'm fubarbed

Now I just had a port I maintain committed yesterday
and I have no way to test it to verify the port is working.

And doing a portsnap which may not contain my updated port
for a few days if ever until all the other problem are addressed.

This 9.1 release was released prematurely. It has more problems
them 5.0 had which had a re-release 2 weeks later to fix problems.

This is BAD public relations for FreeBSD.