Date:      Mon, 7 Jul 2014 08:36:51 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Patrick Powell <papowell@astart.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some suggestions about PKGNG documentation

On Sun, 6 Jul 2014, Patrick Powell wrote:
> On 07/05/14 03:18, Mike Brown wrote:
>> Warren Block wrote:
>>> The documentation team has a standing offer to either assist with markup
>>> or accept content-only submissions and do the markup on them.
>> That's good to know. I was under the impression it had to be submitted as
>> DocBook XML. Thanks!
>>
> OK.  Its been 10 years since I lasted looked at the FBSD documents. Nowever,
> I know SGML, XML,
> and have written documents in them.
>
> 1. Point me to the source of one of the documents as a starting point.
> 2. Point me to the tools that I need to use to massage the document.
>    (There used to be a Documenter's Handbook, is it still around?)
>
> I will take one of these documents as a starting point and then update it.
>
> HOWEVER...  I am hoping that one of the document team will 'proof' this for
> format and content.

The books and articles are in DocBook XML 5.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/index.html

Chapter 9 shows examples of DocBook markup.

Articles are simpler than books.  For example:
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/doc/head/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/cups/article.xml?revision=44687&view=markup