Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 19:35:34 -0700
From:      "Duke Normandin" <01031149@3web.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   General Unix mail info

Howdy....

This is probably a bit OT, but on the plus side the info that I
garner will go a long way to furthering my understanding of the Unix
way. ;,)

I have a small LAN -- 1 FBSD box; 1 DOS box; 1 win95 box. My
immediate problem is with my DOS box which has been Unix-ified as
much as is possible (Korn shell; full complement of Unix utilities,
etc.) I want to run PCElm or PC-Pine. -- No! I can't use my FBSD box
to do email. Long story!

I've been reading up on the user's "system mailbox" and his "personal
mailbox", i.e. $HOME/mbox/duke. I now realize that these "mailboxes"
are simply files into which email messages get appended -- as are
various "topical" folders.

The mail gateway program that I currently use saves my mail as .wrk
and .txt pairs -- supposedly in "the Unix way". Works great with my
DOS PMail MUA, but if I want to run a quasi-Unix MUA like PCElm, I
need my mail saved in a Unix-like "system mailbox -- i.e. one big
file.

On a Unix system, fetchmail is probably the beast responsible for
stuffing the "system mailbox" with POP3 stuff. With a permanent
Internet connection, what program stuffs the "system mailbox"? I need
to then find a DOS port for one of those suckers OR a utility that
would convert .wrk/.txt files to a single "mailbox".

I suppose that if I could get my mail saved to a "system mailbox" on
my win95 machine, I could ftp the file to the 3.3R box, do my mail
there, and ftp in again to grab the file.

I've learned more about Unix mail in the last two days researching
this issue than in the last year of plinking around with my FBSD box.
Any help, suggestions, comments would be appreciated. Tia...

-duke
Calgary,Alberta, Canada