Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:59:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        eclarsen2@yahoo.com (Earl Larsen)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with Allocating Disk Space

> I was wondering if anyone could help me allocating a
> 1.5 gig hard drive. I worked on it a little bite, and
> came up with 150MB for /, 134MB for swap, 150MB for
> /var, 175MB for /tmp, and the rest goes to /usr.

Well, if it works it is good.
Nowdays, 1.5 GB is pretty tight for anything but a slimmed down system.

> would like to optamize this a little more. I want to
> run KDE on the hard drive. Any help with this would
> greatly be appreceated, because I am installing it on
> an old Thinkpad (380D (( PI 175 Mghz)).

This might be a situation where putting everything but swap in
the root partition would be a reasonable idea.    It would be
difficult to know in advance where stuff will fit.  KDE is kind
of big and you will need X for it too.

////jerry