Date:      Sat, 10 Jul 2004 10:10:42 +0300
From:      Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
Subject:   Re: ethercons updated for -CURRENT

> On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
>
> > from what I had been told:
> > Distributed Management Task Force (DMTF, http://www.dmtf.org/) is
> > working on a standard called "Remote Management Control Protocol" (RMCP).
> > One part of this work is SOL (Serial over LAN) which is based upon RFC2217.
> >
> > Perhaps this will be the way to go in the future.
>
> This got integrated into IPMI 2.0, and is available on shipping hardware.
> If I can ever locate some of said hardware, I'll try to implement a tool
> to attach to it.  In the interim the vendor usually provides a Windows
> tool.

The nice thing about IPMI/SOL is that one can 'talk' to the board
via the ethernet without intervention of the local OS, so that, in theory
at least the 'panic message' is also available - there is a BMC that
highjacks UDP packets to port 623.

i say 'in theory' since i have not seen this working, the boards i have,
Intel SE7501WV2 have 2 serial ports, and with some older BIOS i was
able to get both the BIOS console and FreeBSD com to go via com1/cuaa0.

though they are IPMI 1.5, so far i can via the ethernet do basic management
(power off, reset, get logs) but im still trying to figure out the Serial
Over Lan part.

There is a client that runs under windows that should allow connection
via SOL to the console - im still waiting for the intel rep. to show me how,
since i keep getting '.. not supported'.

> The RMCP+/IPMI SOL does not use Telnet as an underlying protocol so it
> doesn't use RFC2217.

the Windows client works as a telnet proxy: on a client one types
telnet localhost 623, and then one is promped for host/user/password.

Sorry if all this seems confusing, try to make sence from the IPMI 1.5 Specs :-)
(so far the 2.0 seems more of the same, with some attempt to make all
this more secure - by obscurity.

The upshot off all this is, if the SOL works, then we can kiss KVM away, and
as Robert said, just power and ethernet and you are set.

danny