Date:      Mon, 9 Jun 1997 23:41:30 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Lee Crites (AEI)" <leec@adam.adonai.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Packard Bell Pentium 1570 compatibility

We have one of the above machines which came installed with Windoze 95.
It is the p200, with 32meg ram, 2.1gig hdd, 1.44meg fdd, 4x cd-rom,
multi-media junk, bus mouse, etc.

I was using it as my workstation because I could get the drivers for my
full-page scanner (Mustek MFC-600S) and printer (Canon BJC-620).  It
also came with a vidio interface I could just plug in my VCR to and grab
avi/still graphics with.  I was using it to build web pages and such.

You might have noted the 'was' above.  This was with reason.  This puppy
came with W95 factory installed.  Each time I have reinstalled W95, it
has become less stable.  Even with PB's help, the last install was less
than successful.  It now crashes several times a week, sometimes several
times a day.

So...

I'm ready to upgrade this box.  I figured I'd go with NT (another
windoze system), since it is more stable -- if that word can be used in
relation to a M$ operating system without causing too much laughing.

But while I was sitting here looking at the NT cd, I got to thinking...

I *really* like my FreeBSD system.  I *really* dislike my Windoze 95
system.  I *really* didn't like the Windoze NT system I had to work on.
Boy, wouldn't it be nice to just cut to the chase and load fbsd on my
PB?!?!?

Which is why I'm sending this question out.  I'm thinking that fbsd 2.1
will load and run on the box, so that's not really the issue.  What I'd
like to know is if anyone else has made this jump.

If so...

* Could you get X running on it?

* Were you able to get the MediaSelect interface to work?  (Actually, I
have no idea how this interface works with W95.  Any clues?)

* How about the sound card?  video (vcr/cable/tv) interface?  fax/modem?
bus mouse?  vdophone?  music cd?

If I put fbsd on this box, it will be a fbsd ONLY system, no dos/w95
booting.  I don't mind losing some of my functionality here, depending
upon what it is.  I just want to know up front what I can expect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lee