Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 20:30:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Weeks <jim@siteplus.net>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        jan@smartsoft.cc, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS: having domain1.com and domain1.net point to the same IP.

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000 sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:

> > Reverse lookups are like Highlanders.  "There can be only one."
>
> No. You can certainly have a reverse lookup returning multiple names.
> Ie. the following is perfectly legal:
>
> $origin 3.2.1.in-addr.arpa.
> 4	PTR	name1.example.com.
> 4	PTR	name2.example.com.
> 4	PTR	name3.example.com.
>
> However, this does *not* necessarily mean that such a configuration
> is good idea...
>
> Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug@nethelp.no

I am certainly aware that the entries can legally be made, however I have
played with some and not found it to be very useful.  In fact I don't
know of any software that can make good use of it.  This doesn't mean
there isn't any.  I just don't know of any.

If you have done dnswalk and digs on various virtual domains around the
net, I am sure that you have found DNS to be poorly configured on many
occasions. I am sometimes surprised that the Internet works as well as it
does.

Jim