Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 14:00:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What would it take to build the FreeBSD kernel into Portable Executable (PE) format?

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> You come on now, that's a rather different class of application than
> writing an OS simulation layer for the Win32 environment.  The
> SoftWindows / SoftPC dealies emulate an entire virtual machine so of
> course they "succeed" somewhat more than those groups who attempt to
> make it all run side-by-side on a single virtual machine. :-)

I'll let it die here, but I just want to clarify that I don't care how
it's done or if it costs a bit (SoftWindows).  My only goal is to run with
my hardware and OS of choice as the "base", but not be shut out from
occasionally using Photoshop, MediaStudio, or even (blech!!) Outlook.
It's nice to walk into an office where they've "standardized" on an app
like outlook and see that half of the people there are using Macs and Suns
to run it.  That's a few more desks unchained from the mediocrity of
windows9x.

So while some of the free projects are a different idea, and they are slow
to develop, at least there are commercial alternatives that work well...

And you really can't imagine how bad-ass a G3 powerbook looks running
three OS'es at once.  (That's NetBSD primarily for Apache, MacOS because
he really likes the desktop, and Windows for office mail/planning via
outlook)

Charles