Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 18:06:57 +0930
From:      "Richard Russell" <richard@yellowgoanna.com>
To:        <Freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   mergemaster question

Hi all,

I was wondering, is it possible to get mergemaster to just install any
config file that is unchanged? For eg, I don't want to know that
/etc/defaults/make.conf has changed -- I haven't edited that file, and
doubt I ever will. When I do an update, I just want it to check if I've
changed it at any point in time, and if not, install the new version. Is
this a sensible thing to want? It could be implemented by means of a
checksum for each file -- if the checksum matches the checksum of the
file in the repository, then I haven't changed it, so the new one can
overwrite it without asking me, but if it differs (eg my passwd file has
an extra line or seven compared to the original), then I want to be
asked what to do... this way, mergemaster will only ever ask me about
the ten or so files that I actually change, rather than the hundred or
more that it changes.

Comments?

rr

--