Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 2003 08:54:16 +0000
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@fastmail.fm>
To:        Gerald S Stoller <gs_stoller@juno.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: color in  Xwindows

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 06:03:19PM -0400, Gerald S Stoller wrote:
> FreeBSD  4.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #0: Sat Apr 21 10:54:49 GMT 2001
>     jkh@narf.osd.bsdi.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386
>=20
>              I am trying to put color in some of my messages (I am using=
=20
> Xwindows ).  One place where I found mention of color is in the manual
> page of the  ls  command (search in there for the string "COLOR".  I
> picked a window and in it set  TERM  to  xterm-color  and exported it,
> set  CLICOLOR  to a nonnull value and exported it, set  LSCOLORS  to the
> default value mentioned there and exported it.  Did an  ls -l  but it
> showed up as usual.  Then tried changing  TERM  to  cons25  (also
> mentioned in the man page) and exported it.  Still nothing.
>            Can anyone direct me to documentation that will tell me how to
> insert color in messages, both the fone and the backgroun, or write to me
> how to do it?  Thanks in advance.

Try using `ls -G` for color output in ls.  If that works, just put an
alias in your shells config file.  For bash it would look something
like:

alias ls=3D'ls -G'

don't know about other shells, though.

Nathan
--=20
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys D8527E49

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP--