Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 2000 15:20:24 +0200
From:      Willem Brown <willem@brwn.org>
To:        Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, Marc Silver <marcs@draenor.org>, Tyler Spivey <tyler@wapvi.bc.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: User-mounting floppies (was Re: stupid questions)

Hi,

 The permissions of /dev/fd0 on my machine has the group as operator. What is
the purpose of this group. I made myself a member of it and still had no access
mount the device.

 I've just played around with it and noticed the following.

Without vfs.usermount se to 1, the only way I can mount it is when
I'm logged on as root.

When I set vfs.usermount to 1, I still can't do it unless I'm part
of the operator group and have write permissions to the mount point.

The default mode for /dev/fd0 is 0640 with the owner root and the group
operator. I can only mount /dev/fd0 read-only unless I change the mode
to 0660 giving the group rw access.

If you were to create another group, called floppy or something. Change
the group on /dev/fd0 and the mount point to floppy with mod 0660, would
that not solve the problem without allowing for the opportunity to break
other things?

Regards
Willem Brown

On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 07:42:10AM -0500, Jerry Dunham wrote:
> Rahul Siddharthan babbled:
> > Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 14:54:31 +0530
> > To: Marc Silver <marcs@draenor.org>
>
> > Marc Silver said on Jun  5, 2000 at 07:59:47:
> > > I still believe that for security reasons, only root should be allowed
> > > to add/remove file systems.  You're opening yourself to a world of hurt
> > > if you take this approach (imho).
> > >
> > > It all depends on how much access you want to give your users,
> > > how much you trust them, and how you weigh security Vs. ease of use for
> > > users.
> >
> > Well, mounting floppies is likely to be an issue at all only on
> > desktop systems.  Quite likely the user *is* the administrator, and
> > just doesn't want to become root more often than necessary. So I don't
> > see much harm in telling people how to do this....  especially since I
> > couldn't find vfs.usermount in the sysctl man pages either.
>
> As an example, this here machine is my home machine.  The users consist of
> my wife, my son, and myself.  It would be nice if each of us could mount
> floppies so that I don't have to be called in here to do it as root.  At
> the moment, for this function: advantage - Microsoft.
>

> --
> Jerry Dunham                     FreeBSD             http://www.dunham.org
> jdunham@fc.net               jerry@dunham.org            (512)335-0674 (H)
>
>                              E Pluribus Unix

 /*      Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD. The choice is yours.      */