Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 1999 21:45:52 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        Peter McGarvey <Networks.Manager@rncm.ac.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Q: FreeBSD -> SQL Server with ODBC

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Peter McGarvey wrote:

{...}

> We also have another NT machine running SQL Server.  The current WebServer
> is able to query the SQL server via ODBC using a perl module (WIN32::ODBC).
> So, I need to access the SQL Server in a similar manner.  I did some looking
> around and came to the conclusion that ODBC on FreeBSD was indeed possible.
> Having previously installed Perl5, I downloaded and attempted to install the
> following perl modules:
>
> 	DBI-1.06.tar.gz
> 	DBD-ODBC-0.20.tar.gz
>
> The first installed okay, the second started moaning about driver managers
> and drivers.

This may not help you, but if not it may help someone else....

OpenLink Software (sorry can't give you the URL - its at work :-( ) has
commercial ODBC support for all sorts of RDBMS servers, although no
specific support yet for FreeBSD (coming IIRC from their website).  They
are also hosting the ongoing development of the iODBC open source ODBC
driver manager.

I have succeeded in getting a demo version of their software working in
the following configuration:
    client:
        SQL test program from iODBC linked against the OpenLink
        MultiTier ODBC driver on a FreeBSD 2.2.7 system.
    server:
        OpenLink MultiTier network communication daemon linked
        against CA-Ingres 6.4 on a Solaris 2.4 system.

I was able to create tables, insert rows, select, and drop tables (with
appropriate login on Ingres server of course).

I have also managed to link this driver into an Apache-PHP web server,
although I've not yet confirmed that this is functional.

In order to get this to work:
- I used the BSDI 2.1 OpenLink client kit.
- I dropped the iODBC library from the equation altogether, and created
  symlinks from the OpenLink libraries to simulate the iODBC libraries.
  This means I can only use the OpenLink MultiTier driver (adequate for
  my purposes), and I think I have to fully specify the connection
  details, rather than naming a DSN in an ODBC.INI file (again not a
  major drama for me at the moment).

As another possibility to research - I seem to recall hearing of a Sybase
client library for Linux which may/may not work against MS SQL Server
(which is essentially Sybase).  If this were the case, you might be able
to use a Linux version of Perl (+extensions as you've mentioned) with this
library under Linux emulation.

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia