Date:      Wed, 24 Dec 2003 12:59:44 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <chuck@pkix.net>
To:        Andy Polyakov <appro@fy.chalmers.se>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: dvd+rw-tools-5.15.4.8.5 and FreeBSD 5-current

Hi, Andy--

Andy Polyakov wrote:

>It was brought to my attention that growisofs, principal burning utility
>from dvd+rw-tools, fails to fulfill DVD recording under FreeBSD
>5-current. In the course of trouble-shooting it became apparent that the
>failure is cased by kernel bug, reportedly introduced with "ATAng
>commit." The kernel deficiency manifests itself by failure to
>automatically pull sense data for failed ATAPI command, when application
>most expects it to (as CAM_DIS_AUTOSENSE flag is *not* set).

Would the symptoms of this problem include returning invalid sense codes
in the event of a problem?  One user of dvd+rw-tools reported that his
burner was returning a 0xF sense code (which is reserved and presumably
not actually being set by the device) under 5.x:

brueffer@cheops:~ # growisofs -Z /dev/cd1 -R -J /mnt/disc4/some/files
Executing 'mkisofs -R -J /mnt/disc4/some/files | builtin_dd of=/dev/pass1
obs=32k seek=0'
[deleted list of files]
/dev/pass1: "Current Write Speed" is 2.0x1385KBps.
:-[ LBA=0h, SENSE KEY=Fh/ASC=FFh/ASCQ=FFh ]
:-[ attempt -blank=full or re-run with -dvd-compat -dvd-compat to engage DAO ]
:-( write failed: Input/output error

Anyway, congratulations on looking into the problem you mentioned above and getting results.  I'll submit a PR to update the port to 5.15.4.8.5.  Happy holidays...

--
-Chuck