Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2019 10:33:01 -0500
From:      Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Firefox or what?

On 2019-08-13 10:26, Polytropon wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 10:44:15 -0400, Eric wrote:
>> Mine will freeze and crash regularly as well. It was much worse at
>> one time but I went to the configuration folder and moved it to a
>> different name letting firefox set itself up again like it was
>> first use.
>
> You can use the profile manager to do this, without having to deal
> with configuration directories manually:
>
> 	% firefox -P
> 	% firefox -p
> 	% firefox -ProfileManager
>
> However, configuration "bugs" should not cause Firefox to crash.
>

>> I forget where the folder was whether it was in .config or not.
>
> It should be ~/.mozilla/firefox, with subdirectories for each
> profile that has been instantiated.
>

>> It helped a lot but didnt completely solve the problem. I'm using
>> 11.2/amd64 so I'm hoping things are better in 12 when I take the
>> leap.
>
> Check if a newer version of Firefox is available. In many cases,
> performing an update will help.

With Firefox doing updates is a must. They will fix known bugs and
vulnerabilities (and may introduce new ones ;-)
Crushes of outdated Firefox may indicate one is hitting websites that
are trying to exploit known vulnerabilities (chances are small but do
depend on one's browsing habits)

Valeri

> Oh, and always check for filesystem inconsistencies... ;-)

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247