Date:      Sun, 4 Jun 2006 22:46:32 +0200
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Joel Dahl <joel@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Official Hats page is a wee bit out of date

--MnLPg7ZWsaic7Fhd

On 2006.06.04 09:30:34 +0200, Joel Dahl wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-06-03 at 23:56 -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> > I can take a pass at this if no one else gets around to it, but=20
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/dev-model/official-hat=
s.html=20
> > is not tracking reality atm.

IMO it should be marked as "at the time of this writing, see XXX" in
that document, or names should be removed.

> Part of the problem is that we duplicate info about various teams, hats
> and responsibilities everywhere in our docs, which makes them a PITA to
> update.  For example, if we change security-officer, the following docs
> needs an update:
>=20
> www/en/developers.sgml
> www/en/security/security.sgml
> doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/contributors/
> doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/committers-guide/
> doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/dev-model/
>=20
> So, when a team/hat changes, you need to update at least 3-5 documents,
> which is way too much.  One, or perhaps two, should be enough.

Yes, this has been a problem for years.  Someone(tm) should use the
big axe and nuke all, but max two places like you say.

That said, hrs said he was working on some more intelligent user
information managent (came up recently with sharing of user data
between www/ and doc/), so perhaps this may be able to set each hat
once...

--=20
Simon L. Nielsen

--MnLPg7ZWsaic7Fhd