Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2014 01:31:07 +0400
From:      Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   What is difference between loading module with loader and loading module wtih kldload?

Hello, Hackers.

  I've upgraded my fileserver to 10-STABLE and got very strange (but
 very-very painful) problem, which I could not reproduce on virtual machine
 (VirtualBox).

 I'm using geom_raid5 module (and I'm its maintainer, yes) and module, built
for 10-STABLE (after world & kernel build & install & reboot), and loaded
via /boot/loader.conf is reason to almost instant crash after boot.
Sometimes system mounts filesystems before crash and sometimes not. Most of
time it is "page write: page not present", in different places. PS/2
keyboard is always blocked after that, I could not drop to debugger. No
memory dump performed. Several times it turend off video output (!) right
after crash.

 But if I boot without this module, drop to single-user mode, load module
with kldload and continue booting with "exit" everything work smoothly for
hours!

 I understand, that it it some incompatibility between module new kernel,
but I could not reproduce it on VirtualBox instance, and I'm puzzled, that
this crash does not occur if module loaded by kldload! Maybe, here is some
hint in this?

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>