Date:      Mon, 1 Feb 1999 08:38:57 +1100 (EDT)
From:      Andrew MacIntyre <andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au>
To:        Kevin Weiss <kevin.weiss@mail.utexas.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: trying to get my ports to work

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Kevin Weiss wrote:

> Basically, I am getting fetch error, and a message
> saying something about "try porting manually to
> /usr/ports/distfiles and try again"

At the very least you need to mount the CD with the unmodified tarballs on
it, so that the ports system can find the tarballs, patch them, build them
and then install them.

The packages are precompiled, so they can be installed directly without a
functional compiler (part of the reason that the most common ones are on
the 1st CD, so they can be accessed during the installation).

E-mail: andrew.macintyre@aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac@bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Fido:   Andrew MacIntyre, 3:620/243.18        |        Australia