Date:      Sun, 02 Nov 2003 15:08:33 -0800
From:      andi payn <andi_payn@speedymail.org>
To:        Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: color to files

On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 20:28, Malcolm Kay wrote:
> If you are in X and using xterm then this also has the capability but by
> default other programs such as ls are not informed of this because the
> termcap description for terminal type 'xterm' does not declare it.

After telling him this same thing, I went and checked, and it appears
that on my FreeBSD 4.8 installation, I have to do this (or various other
ways of getting the same effect), but on my 5.1 installation, with
TERM=xterm, I get color.

Was the xterm termcap changed for FreeBSD 5, or have I just done
something to fix this and forgotten about it?