Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 19:43:32 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Ross A Lippert <ripper@plato.nmia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /dev/cuaa3 not being detected.

On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 08:57:56AM -0600, Ross A Lippert wrote:
> /dev/cuaa3 isn't being detected on boot.  My modem is there, so I
> cannot ppp from my bsd side.  Basic message:
> stty -f /dev/cuaa3 -a
> "Bad file name" (paraphrasing from my short term memory)

Posting the output from dmesg(8) would help greatly here. Also, are
you aware that sio2 and sio3 are disabled by default in the GENERIC
kernel?

> bsd is detecting the mouse at COM0 and something I don't recognize
> at COM1 (speed is 9600 if that is a clue).

I would suggest not mixing DOS (COM) terminology with UNIX (sio/cuaa)
it can cause confusion. COM is numbered from 1 (so there is no COM0 in
the DOS world) whereas sio/cuaa is numbered from 0.

> Booting to linux confirmed the first two COMs and showed the modem
> on COM3.
>
> There was an odd thing in the linux dmesg:
> ttyS0 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> ttyS1 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
> ttyS3 at 0x02e8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
>
> (where ttyS == cuaa -- I'd give the bsd dmesg too if it didn't require
> two reboots)
>
> Could I have had an IRQ conflict all this time and just not noticed?
>

> -r

        ...and on the eighth day God created UNIX