Date:      Fri, 01 Jan 2010 22:51:15 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?B?RnJhbmsgV2nDn21hbm4=?= <frank.wissmann41@web.de>
To:        Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where did the handbook go?

Manolis Kiagias schrieb:
> On 01/01/2010 11:34 μ.μ., Frank Wißmann wrote:
>> Manolis Kiagias schrieb:

>>> We now got the concept of documentation packages. These are installed in
>>> /usr/local/share/doc/freebsd and are available in all languages (for
>>> which a doc project exists of course) and in a variety of formats as
>>> usual (pdf, html and so on).
>>>
>>> If you haven't installed them when installing FreeBSD, you can do so
>>> easily by reinserting your DVD and running sysinstall. Select
>>> 'Configure' and then 'Documentation Installation'.
>>>
>>> You can also install using pkg_add or build what's needed from ports.
>>>
>>> For example, the German docs port is in:
>>>
>>> misc/freebsd-doc-de
>>> To unsubscribe, send any mail to
>>> "freebsd-questions-unsubscribe@freebsd.org"
>>>
>> This was, together with Warren's answer, what I needed. The docs are
>> building now and I hope I find what I need.
>> But that leads me to the question: Is there no handbook anymore in the
>> base system? And. if yes, why not?
>>
>> Frank
>>
> Not really in the base system, although you can install them using
> sysinstall as said above and they are still available in the
> installation media.  The advantage of having the documentation as ports
> (or packages) is they get upgraded with portupgrade. So the local docs
> are not now a static snapshot of what was available when the RELEASE was
> done, but rather an evolving set of packages that can be upgraded along
> with anything else. There is a continuing effort of improving (and
> translating) the documentation and it is good to always be able to have
> the latest available locally if you wish.
>
> (Please note the change in path, as these are now packages they are
> installed in /usr/local/share/doc)

OK, I noticed that and I agree with your argumentation. Now I can go to
bed and sleep well :-).

Thanks to all!

Frank

--
GU d- s:+ a+ C+>$ UBS>$ P L- !E--- W N+@ !o K--? !w--- O !M- !V- PS+ PE
Y? !PGP- t+ 5 X !R tv- b++ DI !D G e h+ r- y?

When pack meets pack in the jungle
and no one will move from the trail
wait till the leaders have spoken
it may be fair words shall prevail