Date:      Sat, 16 Apr 2005 16:22:22 +0200
From:      Danny Pansters <danny@ricin.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: about hpoj

On Saturday 16 April 2005 14:53, Andrea Riela wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> what I've to do to print correctly a file with my HP OfficeJet 7140xi
> through a network connection?
> I've installed the hpoj port, and I could see:
>
> elessar# ptal-hp device
> Model name:        officejet
> Model number:      7140xi
> Serial number:     HU3BKFM0TC6L
> Firmware version:  GD206R
> Firmware datecode: (unavailable)
>

> but if I try with ptal-print < file, the printed page is incorrect :)
> Maybe I need cups or something like that?

Yes, you need a printer spooler. I use cups, see also
/usr/local/share/doc/hpoj/setup-print.html for documentation.

I mostly print from KDE, but from the console you can simply use
/usr/local/bin/lpr MYFILE (that is the lpr that comes with cups, not
the one that comes with the base system). Scanning also works well.

HTH,

Dan