Date:      Sun, 09 May 1999 15:14:36 -0400
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Subject:   Re: SMP

> :I just picked myself up a SMP MB and 2 P-II-400s.  I just want to tell you
> :"way to go!".
> :
> :There is one bit of wierdness though.  I run setiathome for FreeBSD, and I
> :usually run it with 'setiathome >logfile&', then I tail -f that logfile.
> :For some reason the 'tail -f' is not working; the logfile is getting written
> :to, if I access it in a different terminal (cat, a new tail, whatever) I see
> :the additiional information.  Any ideas?
> :
> :I am running with softupdates.  I can provide a dmesg and config file if
> :it is usefull, I am also running a debugging kernel with DDB so I can
> :try anything you need :)
> :
> :--
> :David Cross                               |  email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu
> :Systems Administrator/Research Programmer |  Web: http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~crossd
>     Are you sure you aren't restarting setiathome?  tail -f tracks the seek
>     position of the file.  If you restart setiathome without restarting the
>     tail, the logfile will truncate to seek position 0 but the tail will still
>     be hanging onto whatever seek position it had gotten to before.
>
>     p.s. I'm running setiathome on both of my SMP boxes too.  I think it's a
>     much better use of idle cpu then trying to break encryption keys.  I'm
>     not redirecting it to a log file, though.

I spoke too soon.  It is working correctly, I think.  It is taking *much*
longer between updates.  It used to display updates once every 'percentage
cycle' for setiathome (I would get one update per x.xxxxx% done, and there
are typically 9 lines between each run, and eas run inc-ed the % by .1). Now
I see one update per full percentage point; the data is obviously being
writen to the file more regularly than this, it just isn't seen by tail.

I log the output because I run setiathome in the background when the machine
comes up, but I want to be able to see its progress. (no, I don't run it as
root :)

--
David Cross                               |  email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Systems Administrator/Research Programmer |  Web: http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~crossd
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute,         |  Ph: 518.276.2860
Department of Computer Science            |  Fax: 518.276.4033
I speak only for myself.                  |  WinNT:Linux::Linux:FreeBSD