Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 21:38:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      Scott Nolde <scott@smnolde.com>
To:        chip <chip@wiegand.org>
Cc:        C J Michaels <cjm2@earthling.net>, Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>, FBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Block WWW advertizing banners & auto spawn web pages using ipfilter or ipfw

smacked into the keyboard previously by chip:

 >On Thursday 27 December 2001 07:38 pm, Scott Nolde wrote:
 >> smacked into the keyboard previously by C J Michaels:
 >>  >Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 22:32:33 -0500
 >>  >From: C J Michaels <cjm2@earthling.net>
 >>  >To: Scott Nolde <scott@smnolde.com>,
 >>  >     Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
 >>  >Cc: FBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
 >>  >Subject: RE: Block WWW advertizing banners & auto spawn web pages using
 >>  >    ipfilter or ipfw
 >>  >
 >>  >I use adzap for squid and it works like a charm, it blocks about 80% of
 >>  > ad banners and it does a decent job of squelching popups.  It doesn't
 >>  > actually remove them, but the windows pop-up empty and dont' spawn
 >>  > further popups.
 >>  >
 >>  >It's even in the ports collection now (/usr/ports/www/adzap/)
 >>  >
 >>  >--Chris
 >>
 >> Thanks for the info.  I found a very detailed filter file for junkbuster
 >> which catches about 98% of the ads from sites in the US.  I've been very
 >> pleased.
 >
 >I've been quietly following this thread and am interested in this too. Could
 >you share with us what filter file it is that you found? Or where you found
 >it?

Google is your friend!
http://www.google.com/search?q=junkbuster+blockfile&num=10

I found my filterfile for junkbuster at:
http://www.neilvandyke.org/junkbuster-blockfile/

I've added only a few things to it, and it make loading weather.com much
less of a pain.

I've also just noticed a patch to filter the javascript popups:
http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~skx/junk/

- Scott

 >Thanks,
 >Chip
 >www.wiegand.org
 >
 >> I got interested in junkbuster while trying to determine which proxy
 >> server to use to bypass the office's proxy... OpenSSH + ${proxy_of_choice}
 >> makes a great combination.  Incorporating an ad filter to the web proxy
 >> cuts down enormously on bandwidth.

Scott Nolde
GPG Key 0xD869AB48