Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 23:38:56 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   disklabel: no space left on device ?

Hi,

I'm attaching a new SCSI disk to my FreeBSD 2.2.8-stable box. There's
already one SCSI disk in there, which works fine.

This should be simple.

The disk is attached. It's terminated properly (I've *triple checked*
this). It's recognised at boot time as

   (ncr0:1:0): "SEAGATE ST34520W 1444" type 0 fixed SCSI 2
   sd1(ncr0:1:0): Direct-Access
   sd1(ncr0:1:0): WIDE SCSI (16 bit) enabled
   sd1(ncr0:1:0): 40.0 MB/s (50 ns, offset 15)

The SCSI ID doesn't clash (the other disk is ID 0, the adapter is ID 7).

All that remains is to label it and add a filesystem.

   # sh /dev/MAKEDEV/sd1
   [...]
   # disklabel -w sd1 auto
   disklabel: No space left on device

Uh, what?

   # disklabel -w -r sd1 auto
   disklabel: /dev/rsd1c: Undefined error: 0

That's not supposed to happen. On the off chance, I tried reading;

   # disklabel sd1
   disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Invalid argument

And I can't dd(1) to it either. . .

   # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd1c
   dd: /dev/rsd1c: end of device
   1+0 records in
   0+0 records out

Reading the label on the other SCSI disk works without a problem.

Anyone got any ideas? Or is this disk DOA and I should get a replacement?

Cheers,

                    Bagel: The carbohydrate with the hole