Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 1997 09:12:16 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commercial vendors registry

As dennis wrote:

(I didn't really wanna participate here, and this will probably be my
only mail in this thread.)

>  FreeBSD is loaded with junk already. You should want
> supported products...not basic drivers supported by some guy in
> the urals who has a 50 hr a week commitment elsewhere and fixes
> stuff only when his wife and kids are at grandmas.

The junk is not at crucial parts of the system.  Things like ft(4) or
aic(4) (yeah, my most favourite examples) simply haven't been removed
since users are still using them.  But, etinc.com doesn't have to rely
on a crappy floppy tape driver.

The heavy parts of the system _are_ maintained, and we make it fairly
clear for new code submissions that we don't wanna have them unless
someone also steps forward and promises to maintain them.  Sure, this
also gives us fire from the other side as opposed to where dennis
stands (they sometimes call us ignorant since we are rejecting
`valuable' code for nothing else than there's no maintainer, and a
certain person on these lists wanted to explain us that there's no
reason one needs a maintainer at all, except for what he told us were
gratuitous kernel API changes...), but we can resist this.

This still leaves the problem that some maintainer might run out of
time and/or interest later (ft(4) basically suffered from this), but
that's the risk one is accepting for a freeware system.

--
cheers, J"org