Date:      Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:21:55 -0600
From:      Tom Russo <russo@bogodyn.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Answering my own question Re: Iomega REV drive, FreeBSD 4.11

I'm answering my own question on the mailing list, just to get what I found
into the archives in case anyone else has this question.

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 08:33:47PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo@bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> I'm running FreeBSD 4.11.  I last updated from STABLE in January:
>
> FreeBSD bogodyn.org 4.11-STABLE FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE #0: Sat Jan 22 13:10:32 MST 2005     russo@bogodyn.org:/users2/obj/usr/src/sys/BOGODYN  i386
>
> I just purchased an external SCSI Iomga REV 35MB removable medium drive.

[...]
> When I attach the device and camcontrol rescan all, I get this in the
> /var/log/messages:
>
> Jul 21 19:22:52 bogodyn /kernel: cd1: <Iomega RRD 84.B> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-4
> device
[...]
> That is, the drive is detected, but as a removable CDROM,

This is not peculiar to BSD.  Low-level SCSI utilities in the SCSI controller
at boot time also fail to recognize this thing as a disk drive, and even
on Windows it shows up as a CD-ROM.  The only way to write data to it is to
use a windows-only driver.  And since it doesn't use an ISO-9660 file system,
the only way to read data off of it is with a windows-only driver, too.  So
the thing is a paperweight unless one is using Windows.  One can use
the windows explorer to copy files into it, and one could use it to back up
files if they're on a BSD machine shared by Samba.  Useless for system recovery,
but perhaps barely functional as a data backup.

Live and learn.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1
 "The only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that's hardly
  worth the effort." -- Norton Juster