Date:      Sat, 4 Dec 1999 21:33:35 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD Question

Sheldon Hearn wrote in list.freebsd-questions:
 > If you're too lazy for that, you can patch your kernel source with the
 > diff below and rebuild your kernel.  Once you've booted the new kernel,
 > this command will drop _all_ ICMP traffic:

I think it is probably a very _bad_ idea to drop all ICMP
packets.  It will break all kinds of things, e.g. your own
ping requests won't work anymore, traceroute stops working,
you won't receive "port/host unreachable" anymore, i.e.
telnet to some random port will appear to hang instead of
saying "connection refused", etc. etc. etc.

Just my 0.02 Euro...

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)