Date:      Mon, 2 Jul 2001 22:09:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-smp@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FBSD 4.3-STABLE freezes on SMP boxes!!!!!

As I posted before and read in several messages before
FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE with cvsupdate since Friday 29th June freezes up
and hungs!!!

This happened since Friday now for three times.
I read about a solution in increasing  MAXDSIZ="(512*1024*1024)"
and DFLDSIZ="(512*1024*1024)" in the kernel up to the real installed
amount of memory, but this does not solve the problem. I increased
it on our main system up to 2048 and on another up to 1024 as this
reflects the installed memory. The main NFS server locked up again while the
other machine still works. I decreased this value on all machines to 512.

I do not know what's going on but it is really serious! All machines with
SMP kernel run stable before Friday and with the last cvsupdate both SMP
machines locked up in the night. Only pushing the reset button brought
them back into live.

Another phenomenon occured the same time regards the Linuxator. We use here
Lahey Fortran F95 for Linux successfuly. Since today's cvsupdate on one
of the SMP machines it core dumps with signal 11 (jwd_fort). On the other
SMP machine it runs clear. Only the above mentioned kernel options has been
changed ...

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)