Date:      Thu, 05 Jul 2001 13:37:23 -0500
From:      Eric Long <eric@metrotv.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Gateway not working between fxp1 and eth0

I'm running FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE on a machine that has two ethernet cards,
fxp0 and fxp1, and an Emerging Technologies card (eth0) that functions as a
router for a T1 line.

I'm running natd and ipfw, with gateway enabled.  Part of my rc.conf config
to prove that things are configure correctly:

---
ifconfig_fxp1="inet 192.168.1.1  netmask 255.255.255.0"
gateway_enable="YES"

firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="open"

natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="eth0"
natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf"
---

Machines connected on the LAN via fxp1 cannot see the internet.  The FreeBSD
box can see the internet, I can ping anything, it binds 192.168.1.1
correctly, it binds the public ip's assigned from Qwest correctly, and it
binds the IP address for the router correctly.

Machines on the network are correctly assinged ip's via dhcpd, and I'm using
192.168.1.1 as the router/gateway on LAN machines.  They aren't able to
reach the internet.

This was not a problem when I setup this configuration with just two
ethernet cards (to test dhcpd and natd).  With the introduction of the eth0
Emerging Technologies device, the setup does not work.

It's like fxp1 and eth0 are not talking to each other.  How should I go
about fixing it?

-Eric