Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 22:36:15 -0400
From:      Matthew Graybosch <matthew@starbreaker.net>
To:        Stanley Hopcroft <Stanley.Hopcroft@IPAustralia.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How does FreeBSD make a difference in a government context ?

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001 11:37:50 +1000
Stanley Hopcroft <Stanley.Hopcroft@IPAustralia.gov.au> wrote:

> Dear Sir,

Call me Matthew; everybody else does. You can also call me "you
bastard"; some of my boss' clients have been known to do so after
calling about bugs that I fixed months ago.

> Yes it would stick in my throat too. This amazingly enough is a
> FreeBSD desktop in an organisation that worships MS Windows.

 Hell's Bells. How'd you manage that in a bureaucracy?

> Amazingly enough, the CIO asked me about security when I was
> about to reply.

Security? On MS boxen? What is your CIO smoking, and where can I
get a dime bag?

> I would have married her. It's not often one sees __anyone__
> like that.

I'd have done it already, but neither of us are ready.

> I agree wholeheartedly. Could you suggest where I can look for
> them. Something with the  name Gartner, <famous management
school>,
> IDC, even ZD would be ideal.

Well, I found an article in Sys Admin magazine comparing
performance between a Windows 2000 rig and three different Unix
boxen, one running Linux, one running, Solaris, and the other
running FreeBSD. Here's the URL [
http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1148/sam0107a/ ]. Beyond that, I
really don't know much about any benchmarks. I tend to equate
them with lies, damned lies, and statistics. All I care about is
that using Unix is a hell of a lot less stressful than using
Windows.

> for anything but infecting other peoples computers.

Yep. I'd like to round up all the script kittens making these
viruses and neuter them -- their existence makes compulsory
eugenics look like a smart idea for about 30 seconds or so.

> > "Screw Sartre. Hell isn't other people. Hell is debugging
> > other people's code."
>
> I like your sig.

Thanks. I wanted something halfway original, and didn't feel like
quoting BOFH or Ayn Rand. Besides, somebody else already quoted
the Wizard's First Rule (Terry Goodkind).

> Thank you very much for your encouraging words.

You're welcome. I'd like to be more of a help, but I doubt that I
could get away with sneaking my $LART onto an airplane and
helping beat some sense into your inferiors.

******
Matthew Graybosch [matthew@starbreaker.net]
http://www.starbreaker.net :: where dreams and reality collide