Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 19:35:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Ronald G Minnich <rminnich@lanl.gov>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD config source

Ronald G Minnich writes:
> well, I don't have a FreeBSD machine at present, but I want to use BSD
> config for a non-kernel use. I'm failing to find the source for it handy
> anywhere. Can someone send me a pointer? Please use email, I don't
> subscribe to this list.

The BSD config can't really be used for much besides kernels - not
without some extensive reworking. The tokenizer understands all the
kernel-specific keywords, and most of the grammer is consumed with
kernel-specific things. Ok, most of the rework is going to be removing
stuff you don't need, but it still leaves you with lots of work. If
you really want to look at it, it's in /usr/src/usr.sbin/config, and
you can find it in the FreeBSD CVS server.

On the other hand, I once decided I needed that kind of functionality
myself. I wrote a config script that used a meta-config that described
the config files for the program being built. If you feel like tryig
make it work on a Rexx interpreter available to you, or rewriting it
in Perl/Python/tcl/whatever, you're welcome to a copy.

	<mike