Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 2015 19:44:49 +0000
From:      John McDonnell <mcdonnjd@pcam.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: POS system trashing hard drives during install

Apologizing in advance if the formatting of this gets all out of whack. Don=
't have a handy way of doing a copy and paste from up here where I have an =
old system with PATA connectors. So I'm typing by hand on my phone. Though,=
 thinking about it now, maybe I should have done this from the POS since it=
 will boot the XP disk. Maybe it will show something different. Anyway, her=
e goes:

root@:~ # gpart show ada0
=3D>          63  78165297  ada0  MBR  (37G)
              63  40965687  1         ntfs [active]  (20G)
40965750  37190475  2         ebr  (18G)
78156225           9135             - free -   (4.5M)

=3D>             0  37190475 ada0s2  EBR (18G)
                 0  37190475             1 ntfs  (18G)

=3D>           63  78165297 diskid/DISK-5JVXZE4S  MBR  (37G)
                63 40965687                                        1 ntfs [=
active]  (20G)
  40965750 37190475                                        2  ebr (18G)
  78156225          9135                                        - free -  (=
4.5M)

=3D>             0  37190475  diskid/DISK-5JVXZE4Ss2  EBR  (18G)
                 0  37190475                                       1  ntfs =
 (18G)

That looks like a pretty normal layout to me. Guessing that there might be =
something special inside the MBR itself or something in the "empty" sectors=
. Is there some other command than "gpart show" that would be helpful?

--
John McDonnell
mcdonnjd@pcam.org

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 11:08 AM -0800, "John McDonnell" <mcdonnjd@pcam.org=
<mailto:mcdonnjd@pcam.org>> wrote:

> [...]

Sorry, I do tend to ramble on a bit.

> Some systems do stupid things based on what they find on the hard disk.
> Lenovo and IBM before them did this, for example.  Still do, in some case=
s.  It
> is not just a GPT thing, they did stupid things with MBR partitions also.=
 The

I completely forgot about this. I have run across that issue with the IBM/L=
enovo Thinkpads before. When imaging the 300 some laptops the first time, w=
e ran into issues because it wasn't copying some part of the boot blocks an=
d I then learned about the /ib switch in Ghost which solved the issue with =
those laptops. (And also later with DeepFreeze.) Hopefully we can get this =
figured out so I can use FreeBSD on these systems.

> idea that old systems can't boot from GPT is incorrect.  GPT has the PMBR=
, a
> backwards-compatible MBR booting mechanism.

I actually did know this, but conveniently had forgotten about that. So it =
shouldn't be an issue with GPT itself, except that the system itself is pro=
bably looking for something specific in the MBR or on the disk...

> Some systems require a system partition for the BIOS.
>
> Given that this is a custom system, there might be some kind of security
> information stored on the drive.

It is looking like this might be the case. I had a chance to install FreeBS=
D onto another hard drive from another machine and had it up and running an=
d then brought it over to one of the same model POS machines I have sitting=
 in my office and tried to boot it up and it just locks up after detecting =
the hard drives and won't enter the BIOS.

> If it were me, I would use gpart to look at the partitioning on the XP dr=
ive.  It
> is likely MBR, but the number, type, and size of partitions could be a cl=
ue.

The XP drive is definitely MBR and not GPT. I should be able to get the inf=
o on that drive from gpart a little later this afternoon if things stay qui=
et.

Since this is locking up again like my old drives were, I'm wondering if I =
pop it back into the other PC if it will recognize it again or if it will f=
ail. I'm hopeful that it will recognize it as that would mean that my vario=
us 80 GB drives may still be alive and just need a better interface than th=
e IDE to USB adapter I was using at home. (I had been planning on using tho=
se hard drives in a couple of Playstation 2s.)

Thank you for your help so far. :)

--
John McDonnell
mcdonnjd@pcam.org