Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 08:25:50 -0400
From:      "Person, Roderick" <personrp@ccbh.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: GNU/FreeBSD (was: BSD, .Net comments - any reponse to this re asoning?)

------_=_NextPart_001_01C10872.49F65960

Steve Price - On Debian Users...
> Deep down inside they really like BSD and want to use it instead but
> still want to be "cool" and say that they are using Linux. :)

I'd have to agree with this. For 2 years I used Debian, up until then I had
never touch a *nix, other than hacking VMS if you wanna could that.
But once into Debian I keep see all this code that had BSD this or that in
the license or comments. So I began to wonder what is this BSD. Why is
everyone taking thier code. It must be so good stuff if everyone else is
using it. I stumbled onto the the BSD/Debian thing and as I remember they
were talking Debian /w FreeBSD (could be wrong my memory sucks) but and way
it led me to FreeBSD.org. Then I switch to FBSD and have been using it for
close to 3 years I believe now. I check on Debian now and again but don't
see much going on there in fact I bought Debian 2.1 a month or so before
swithing to FBSD and I see that the still on 2.2, guess that's the price of
a world wide developement staff.

Roderick P. Person
Programmer II
(412)454-2616
personrp@ccbh.com

"Get the thing straight once and for all. The policeman isn't
there to create disorder. The policeman is there to perserve
disorder."
 - Richard Daley, mayor of Chicago

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: GNU/FreeBSD (was: BSD, .Net comments - any reponse to this =
reasoning?)</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Steve Price - On Debian Users...</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Deep down inside they really like BSD and want =
to use it instead but</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; still want to be &quot;cool&quot; and say that =
they are using Linux. :)</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I'd have to agree with this. For 2 years I used =
Debian, up until then I had never touch a *nix, other than hacking VMS =
if you wanna could that.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>But once into Debian I keep see all this code that =
had BSD this or that in the license or comments. So I began to wonder =
what is this BSD. Why is everyone taking thier code. It must be so good =
stuff if everyone else is using it. I stumbled onto the the BSD/Debian =
thing and as I remember they were talking Debian /w FreeBSD (could be =
wrong my memory sucks) but and way it led me to FreeBSD.org. Then I =
switch to FBSD and have been using it for close to 3 years I believe =
now. I check on Debian now and again but don't see much going on there =
in fact I bought Debian 2.1 a month or so before swithing to FBSD and I =
see that the still on 2.2, guess that's the price of a world wide =
developement staff.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Roderick P. Person</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Programmer II</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>(412)454-2616</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>personrp@ccbh.com</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&quot;Get the thing straight once and for all. The =
policeman isn't </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>there to create disorder. The policeman is there to =
perserve </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>disorder.&quot; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp;- Richard Daley, mayor of Chicago </FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; -----Original Message-----</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; From: Steve Price [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:steve@havk.org">mailto:steve@havk.org</A>]</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Sent: July 07, 2001 12:56 PM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; To: James Howard</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Cc: freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Subject: Re: GNU/FreeBSD (was: BSD, .Net =
comments - any </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; reponse to this</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; reasoning?)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 12:24:32PM -0400, James =
Howard wrote:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; &gt; He's done that.&nbsp; But he was =
talking about a BSD which would have</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; &gt; almost only GNU userland.&nbsp; =
People keep talking about a Debian</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; &gt; GNU/FreeBSD, for example.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; They did produce one.&nbsp; However, I =
could not find any links </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; to it a few</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; &gt; weeks ago when I tried to find it.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Not true.&nbsp; After a year or more of talking =
about it the project</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; has produced little more than a port of =
dpkg.&nbsp; Some people have</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; claimed to have gone much further than this but =
nobody has</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; produced any code much less a =
distribution.&nbsp; Every so often the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; interest picks back up and they argue over =
which of the BSDs to</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; use as a base, whether they should use a GNU or =
BSD userland, ...</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; In fact, just moments ago someone posted =
wondering what the</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; benefits of DebianBSD would be and wondered if =
a NetBSD package</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; that mimiced the Debian way wouldn't be the =
proper path.&nbsp; To which</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; someone replied that that wouldn't be a true =
Debian.&nbsp; It really is</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; quite comical at times.&nbsp; Nearly everyone =
interested in the project</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; wants a BSD kernel because they feel it is =
better than Linux or</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; because (Net)BSD has been ported to more =
platforms.&nbsp; They always</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; come back to the same thing.&nbsp; They want =
dpkg and friends on BSD</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; but they want it to still be Debian and in some =
way Linux.&nbsp; Deep</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; down inside they really like BSD and want to =
use it instead but</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; still want to be &quot;cool&quot; and say that =
they are using Linux. :)</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; I'm not belittling them by any means and this =
is all IMHO of</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; course so if there are any trolls out there - =
flames to /dev/null.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; -steve</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; To Unsubscribe: send mail to =
majordomo@FreeBSD.org</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; with &quot;unsubscribe freebsd-advocacy&quot; =
in the body of the message</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
</P>

</BODY>