Date:      Mon, 6 Jul 1998 23:10:25 +0000
From:      Niall Smart <rotel@indigo.ie>
To:        rotel@indigo.ie, Tony Holmes <tony@crosswinds.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Load related wd problem

On Jul 6, 10:13pm, rotel@indigo.ie wrote:

> > When the IDE disks are under heavy load, they will take down the system with
> > no warning.  This occurs across all versions - it find it easy to duplicate
> > the problem - on a web server, while the http server is up, I will do some
> > custom processing on the log files (cat, grepping, etc.) which hits the IDE
> > disks hard.  After a time (usually after 10-15 minutes) the system hangs
> > and can only be rescued with a hard reset.
>
> I saw a PR go on a while back for a similar problem, it was some
> problem about using one variable for all disks instead of one each,
> I can't remember the details.  Anyway, I'm not sure if it was even
> committed, but it might be worth searching freebsd.org to see if
> you can find it, sorry I can't be more help.

Damnit, I've searched GNATS, freebsd-bugs and freebsd-hackers and
reviewed the changelog for wd.c and I can't find it.  Does anyone
else remember this?  Sorry for the amount of cross-posting, but if
the original patch was correct then its important.

Niall

--
Niall Smart.        PGP: finger njs3@motmot.doc.ic.ac.uk
FreeBSD: Turning PC's into Workstations: www.freebsd.org