Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 2002 11:55:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Lee J Carmichael <lcarmich@wamnet.com>
To:        "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2-way serial console

Hello Dan,

** Cisco --> Freebsd console **

I'm not sure which flavor of cisco you have but you can connect the aux
port (in 25xx/26xx/45xx) to the unix box and use the following
configuration bits to setup the aux port (with IOS commands):

conf t
line aux 0
session-timeout 30
exec-timeout 30 0
login
modem DTR-active
transport input all
stopbits 1
no exec
ctrl-z
write

I'm assume you are familier with IOS command (conf t --> configure from
terminal, ctrl-z to exit edit mode etc...), note your mileage may vary (on
some boxes it may be line aux 1).

The connection from the aux --> com0 needs to be a RJ-45 (in the
25/26/45) to 9pin.

At this point telnet to the router on port 2001 (for 25xx, port 2065 for
26xx and port 2129 for 36xx, I'm not sure for the >45xx series.).

Example: telnet myrouter 2001

At this point you should see the console displayed.

** Freebsd --> Cisco console **

This direction requires an another Cisco cable, connect from the second
com port on the your freebsd to Cisco console port.

com2 (9-pin) --> console (RJ-45)

For the freebsd box I would use cu (you could use kermit, tip or your
favorite serial term program).

You will need to set up the serial program to baud 9600, with 8-none-1
settings. (this varies depending on term program).

It looks like with tip you can do: tip cuaa0c. Since the settings in the
remote file are setup correctly.

I hope this helps. Note, I haven't tried this with freebsd and Cisco but
it works with Irix and Linux to Cisco routers. I've had good luck
connecting between Irix to Freebsd with cu/tip in similar ways.
--------
Lee Carmichael
Service Architect - WorkSpace

WAM!NET Inc.