Date:      Sat, 4 Dec 1999 17:45:29 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        hgoldste@bbs.mpcs.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel.conf and setting sio flags

On Sat, Dec 04, 1999 at 12:06:32PM -0500, Howard Goldstein wrote:

> I seem to recall seeing that some blessed soul intended to document
> the userconfig syntax used by /boot/kernel.conf(ig) but I'm having a
> brain fart and can't locate the reference or the docs.
>
> It'd be neat to learn how to fish rather than be given the food so
> if someone has suggestions on where to find the docs you'd have my
> eternal gratitude in exchange for its URL. Or if you already have a
> canned userconfig-able /boot/kernel.conf I can use to set my siox
> devices' flags at boot time that'll work too. I'm good to go with
> pnp setup via kernel.conf on a desktop system, but here I have a
> couple of thousand 3.2R systems in the field that may benefit from
> the extended FIFO capabilities but I can't throw new kernels at them
> (easily) and a couple of attempts at guessing at the syntax all
> failed.

I thought I'd seen a doc about this, but I can't find it now :(
Anyway, to set sio parameters the following is what you need:

To disable a port:

   di sio<n>

To enable a port:

   en sio<n>

To set the IRQ:

   irq sio<n> <irq>

To set the flags:

   flags sio<n> <flags>

<flags> is a hex number of the form 0x04

BTW, I thought the filename was /boot/boot.conf. I still use my old
(2.2) /kernel.config by having the following in /boot/loader.rc:

load -t userconfig_script /kernel.config

HTH.

> Thanks in advance.

PERL has been described as "the duct tape of the Internet"
and "the Unix Swiss Army chainsaw"
				- Computer Shopper 12/99