Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:51:47 +0930
From:      Tim Aslat <tim@spyderweb.com.au>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   IP address conflicts

Hi All,

I have an annoying situation in a school I do casual work in their IT
department.  There are a number of individuals within the system who
think it's funny to allocate an IP address on a workstation identical to
the network's proxy/web/mail servers.  What I'd like to know is, would
there be any way of preventing this short of spending quite a lot of
money on managed switches an the like?

I'm unable to restrict access to settings on the machines, as they are
notebooks owned by the students/staff and could be legitimately plugged
in anywhere in the network.

Unfortunately solitary confinement on bread & water, or public
floggings aren't an option.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Tim