Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 01:18:34 -0800
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org, dan@langille.org, "Donald J . Maddox" <dmaddox@sc.rr.com>
Subject:   Re: too much confusion over kernel building

> On 18-Jan-01 Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
> > Who exactly is advocating a full buildworld?  The "new" style should not
> > require a full buildworld.  If it doesn't work, it's a bug.
>
>  buildkernel assumes a worst case environment by default.  The
> problem is that there isn't the One True Way(tm) to build a kernel
> that works for all cases.  buildkernel is needed when updating the
> system, but if you are just changing the kernel config and building
> a new kernel w/o changing your source tree, you should be using the
> old method.  I don't actually use buildkernel as it is only needed
> in very rare cases such as when crossing over a binutils upgrade
> _anyway_.

Although I agree with this entirely (and personally prefer to stay
away from buildkernel, particularly because MODULES_WITH_WORLD doesn't
always work), I don't think it's a good idea to promote using two
different ways for different purposes to newbies.  "Use the old method
if you're not upgrading but use the new method if you're upgrading but
make sure to do a buildworld if you choose the latter path but you
don't need to rebuild the world if you're already running the new,
upgraded, kernel and you're just making modifications to the config
file," (excuse the run-on) sounds a lot more confusing than "use
buildkernel."

If there's no technical reason buildkernel can't be made to work Most
Of The Time(tm) (which Neil's patches suggest there isn't), I see no
reason just to stick with buildkernel for building a kernel.  Of
course, the old way should still be available for use by those who
need/want it.

Regards

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org