Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 07:52:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Super-User <root@danberlin.resnet.rochester.edu>
To:        eagle <eagle@eagle.phc.igs.net>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Gary Schrock <root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, docs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NT4 server 2.5 times faster than Linux

Wouldn't have mattered in this case.
The samba team's beef is that Mindcraft is that they changed the widelinks
setting.
What widelinks does is check to see where a symbolic link is going.
Without it, if i put a symlink to / or whatever in the wrong dir, well
then that person now has *full* access to my puter.
As you would imagine, any smart samba admin changes the setting from the
default, to avoid this (or has no symlinks anywhere on the system).
You take a *large* performance hit though, as it adds a bunch of various
calls.
IMHO, this is the fault of the samba team. They claim it takes 6 extra
chdir and such calls for every file access.  I can't see the reason you'd
need that many, or that they don't do something to alleviate the problem
of checking every single link every single time.
There was also a kernel bug in 2.2.2 that was fixed in 2.2.5 that would
have a major impact on performance.
Of course, the linux advocates don't seem to get the fact that just
becuase your kernel is buggy, doesn't mean someone else screwed up in
testing with it, since it was what was available at the time.   You know,
the whole "actually getting real work done" thing?
Mindcraft also posted to a few usenet newsgroups asking why they were
getting such abyssmal performance, and the tradition of the great helping
linux community, they got no answer.
I could understand complaints if they got the answer "The kernel you are
using has a bug in it, here's a patch, or wait for a fix, or else you'll
take a major performance hit".  But they got no such answer.
"Why didn't they use 2.0.36" i hear also. Well, because everyone and their
grandmother said to upgrade to 2.2.0. After all, it is in the stable
series, right?
It should be, ya know, stable?
Although Mindcraft's past tests make me weary, in this particular case, i
don't see how they screwed up all that badly.
--Dan