Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 21:46:38 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "vipor" <vipor_1@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: seeking help--- my /tmp is full ---109 %

On Thursday 09 August 2001 18:56, vipor wrote:
> hello,
> can someone please assist me I am at a loss, my /tmp directory is obviously
> full.  But I'm unable to determine why.
> and most important I'm also unable to fix this with my current skills and
> abilities.
:
:
> If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this..?
> drwx------   2 root   wheel  512 Jul 25 11:05 kde-root
> drwx------   2 root   wheel  512 Jul 25 11:07 ksocket-root
> drwx------   2 root   wheel  512 Jul 25 11:05 mcop-root
> srwxrwxrwx   1 mysql  wheel    0 Aug  8 22:58 mysql.sock

A lot of those are directories; do "du /tmp" to see what's filling it up if
you want to know.

If you are  justdesperate to get going, the easiest safe way is to reboot,
restart in single use mode "boot single" or "boot 1" I believe), and then do

rm -rf /tmp/*

But I usually, if things are really bad, just log everybody off, kill xdm/kdm
if it's running, and then log in and root and do rm -rf /tmp/*

Or if I'm feeling really impatient, I just newfs it.

And then reboot.

This is not the Recommended Procedure, but I've always figured that if some
idiot user/process puts permanent files in /tmp, they deserve what they get.

--
Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)