Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 20:55:44 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiple kernels / module search path

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 09:28:30PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> I don't think that we want to autmoatically do this.  modules need to
> be verified as working with a given kernel before we go start and

Isn't that the job of the versioning system or am I missing the point?

> I'm not saying, btw, that a user shouldn't be allowed to setup the
> search path with /modules in it, but it should be explicit, not
> implicit.

My concern is simply that there needs to be an easily identifiable place
for third party (read binary only) drivers to by installed.  The most
straight-forward way to handle this is to provide one place to put them.
With versioning in place it doesn't seem like all that much of a pipe
dream for a user to be able to drop a binary driver into a -STABLE system
and expect it to work (-current is obviously a whole different ballgame).
I suppose it might actually be a fat binary with, say, INVARIANTS enabled
and disabled versions, but that a new kernel/module installation scheme
should not make this substantialy more difficult then it currently is.

-- Brooks