Date:      Sat, 22 Aug 2009 20:22:08 +0200
From:      Martin Wilke <miwi@FreeBSD.org>
To:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org, gecko@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   [HEADUP] FreeBSD Gecko's TODO and plan for future

Howdy Guys,

The FreeBSD Gecko Team will let you know what the plans for
the future are and on what we are currently working.

Goals:
* Removal of mozilla, nvu, xulrunner and firefox2.
* www/firefox35 should be moved to www/firefox.
* The options USE_GECKO mozilla nvu xulrunner and firefox will be also removed.

Background:
 We have a lot of old stuff on the portstree and it's time to cleanup old stuff.
     * www/mozilla is 5 year old now, no longer supported by upstream, and
       has many many vulnerabilities. We can use www/seamonkey.

     * www/nvu last official release was in 2005, no longer supported, and
       also some vulnerabilities. We have www/kompozer which also need an
       update to get this unbroken.

     * www/xulrunner is old and was replaced by www/libxul. We should not
       hold any old Gecko stuff. Also it's not longer supported by upstream:
       https://wiki.mozilla.org/XULRunner:Roadmap

Problems which we have to solve:
  Some Gnome ports need www/firefox to build and work, but unfortunately
  firefox2 isn't longer supported by the Mozilla Foundation. Also
  www/firefox has a lot of vulnerabilities. We should www/firefox
  mark FORBIDDEN at this time gives no fixes for the latest securtiy
  reports.

We see here 2 ways:
      1) The Gnome Team (not the FreeBSD Gnome Team) take time and move all his
         stuff to libxul.
      2) or we the FreeBSD Team have to remove all these ports. We know that's
         really hard but we should not hold vulnerabilities stuff.

   We hope to get here a bit help from the FreeBSD Gnome Team to make it
   possible to get some stuff to work with the current libxul version.

Current Status:
        We working currently on Firefox 3.6 (alpha1) [2], Thunderbird 3.0 (beta3) [1],
        new libxul 1.9.1.2. All 3 are already committed to our repo.

   [1] a screenshot from tb3 under FreeBSD
       http://tmp.chruetertee.ch/tb3.0b3.png
   [2] a screenshot from ff36 under FreeBSD
       http://tmp.chruetertee.ch/ff36.png

A current status can you find here:
	https://trillian.chruetertee.ch/freebsd-gecko/wiki/TODO

So that's all at the moment, Feedback, Comments are welcome.

- - Martin for the FreeBSD Gecko Team

- --

|  PGP    : 0xB1E6FCE9  |  Jabber : miwi(at)BSDCrew.de  |
|  Skype  : splash_111  |  Mail   : miwi(at)FreeBSD.org |
|	Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest!		|