Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 2002 13:02:41 -0400
From:      "Jason Cribbins" <freebsdlist@kibserv.org>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   make world lasts longer than the energizer bunny

What is the time frame on make world.
I started make world on my 4.4 BSD box after syncing the source tree with
cvsup (wasn't that fun figuring out for the first time)
We are now on hour 43 in the process.
I know something like this is going to take time ...especially on a 486, but
what sort of time frame are we talking?  I would have guessed that a modern
computer could do this in 4-5 hours and a slow one like mine might take
closer to 20 hours...but I seem to be way off.
Is this sort of thing measured in days, weeks or months?
This is a keyboardless box (something fried on motherboard long ago) that I
had to initiate the make world through telnet on a windoze box.  If I had
know it was going to take this much time I would have telneted from another
freebsd box.  My windoze machines typically need to be rebooted every few
days to clean up memory leaks.
I might be in trouble here.

If it helps make world is presently compiling ping, ping6 and rlogind as I
type this...am I even close to being done?

-Jason