Date:      Sat, 8 Aug 1998 14:42:37 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "W. Maynard" <mark@functional.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommendations for an AMD k6 motherboard

On Saturday,  8 August 1998 at  4:58:51 -0400, W. Maynard wrote:
> I'm planning to build a custom FreeBSD system.  Here's what I've got so
> far:
>
> AMD K6, 233 MHz
> 32 M 72 pin EDO SIMM 8x32 ( x 4 = 128 mb RAM)
> 6.4 GB Quantum SCSI HD
> Matrox Millenium II 8M PCI
> NEC 24 X SCSI CD-ROM drive
> Adaptec 2940UW SCSI PCI
>
> Any recommendations for a motherboard?  Note that am I interested in
> overclocking the k6.  Also, any other comments regarding this
> configuration are welcome.

That's pretty close to my configuration.  I have 160 MB memory,
multiple disks, a Millenium I, the same SCSI host adaptor, an old
CD-ROM changer and multiple tapes, but the heart is in the right
place.

I'm using a RISE Mustang R581A, which has a (currently unused) AGP
port.  I bought it in Singapore, mainly because it was the only thing
that supported more than 64 MB cached memory.  It uses the SIS
5591/5595 chip set, which doesn't get the highest marks, but so far
I've been pretty happy with it.

Greg