Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 19:46:49 -0700
From:      "Donald and Rosalyn Fast" <d_rfast@telus.net>
To:        "Jim Freeze" <jim@freeze.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Widespread panics on install of 4.0 -solved (at least partly)

Thanks Jim,

I changed the BIOS timing for memory to be less aggressive  - still no success in installing.
I removed case cover, and put a portable fan blowing over CPU this lowered CPU temp from
49 deg C to 34 deg C and MB temp from 35 deg C to 24 deg C and SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED.

It is time for a small hardware upgrade of a new case and cooling fan(s).

I then configured and browsed FreeBSD for 30 minutes until I got a panic when installing
GNOME (after installing multiple dependencies, but not yet finished).
(successfully ran fsck to fix the damage)

30 minutes is about twice as long as any previous use.  So I think I am getting somewhere.

thanks again,

Donald Fast