Date:      Thu, 09 Apr 1998 23:54:52 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        abelits@genesyslab.com (Alex Belits), dshanes@personalogic.com, brett@lariat.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

> The division in Linux implementations is very real.  I have been

I only wish this point got made more often - if nothing else, the
public embarassment might result in closer ties between the various
Linuxen and you wouldn't have so much trouble porting LDAP, to say
nothing of all the other folks in a similar boat.

> Spinning market perception is harder than pointing to conclusive
> technical information.

The corrolary to this being that spinning market perception is also a
far more effective PR technique than providing conclusive technical
information. :-(

> >   Please, before doing that try to make a list of goals that it is
> > supposed to accomplish.
>
> I have to admit that I was a bit ticked off by one press release
> that stated "Linux is the freely available UNIX implementation",
> using "the" instead of "a".  The was SunWorld Online (I believe)
> quoting Netscape higher-ups over the Mozilla release.

If I accomplish no goal other than to have folks say "Linux AND
FreeBSD" in the same breath (and, more importantly, same press
releases) then I think I'll have more than accomplished the primary
mission.

> What is the status on the CVS/CVSup Mozilla source repository that
> was being considered?  That would certainly raise visibility in a
> positive way, even if the involvement was only in providing the
> technology to Netscape.  You could still press-release it...

It's up and running at bento.freebsd.org; not sure what the press
release would look like though.  I wish I were better at writing
those. :-( Anyone want to make a buck by writing marketing blurbs on
contract?  It wouldn't pay much, but I could make it worth your while
if you had any kind of talent for it! :-)

					Jordan