Date:      Thu, 16 Feb 2006 22:11:33 +0100
From:      Robin Vley <viper@fx-services.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mysterious reboot

Mike Loiterman wrote:

Mike, Wouter,

> Before I make these changes, I would like to just get a second opinion from
> the list about their value and what impact, if any, they might have on
> system stability, compatibility, etc.

I don't know really how to set the maxfiles parameter (mine is at 32000
for now on a web/mail server). However, as far as I understand the

net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack

is not something you want to set at 0 normally. This is part of the TCP
system of flow control. By not delaying ACKs high speed connections will
not be fully utilized. However, like someone else already answered: it's
kind of hard to say if this is a good idea for YOUR setup. Maybe Wouter
can explain why he came with the tip about that one? Maybe there is a
good reason to it. :)

My machine also has trouble with sudden reboots. Much quicker than weeks
though, I barely hold out for 5 days. So I'm reading up on this sort of
cases now, hence my interest in this thread. So far I've looked at the
maxfiles (increased it a little), and kern.maxvnodes (increased it to
100.000, my vfs.vnodes was at 91000 at the time). My trouble is kind of
exactly the same as I read in the original messaage: the result is like
someone pulls the plug and puts it back in. No logs, no dumps, no
nothing. And completely normal operation right before the reboot. Pretty
annoying. I've had it on 2 machines, different hardware so far.

First I expected hardware, but now I moved everything to a freshly
installed machine with hardware that I'm 100% sure of it's OK. So it
must be something else then, right? :)

/Robin