Date:      Mon, 05 Apr 2021 19:31:51 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help needed: Upgrading packages broke my system

I have been seriously remiss in keeping my old 12.0-RELEASE system up
to date.  I am trying to rectify that now.

I have just tried to do "pkg upgrade" and after a bit of initial fooling
around (e.g. to remove packages which no longer exist) I managed to get
the process to make some progress, and indeed about 608 packages were
ostensibly upgraded, however now the Xorg server won't start, and I do
have reason to believe that this may relate to a number of errors that
were flagged during the various package upgrades, all of which looked
like this:

ld-elf.so.1: /lib/libthr.so.3: version FBSD_1.6 required by /usr/local/lib=
/libglib-2.0.so.0 not found

There is an existing /lib/libthr.so.3 file on the system in question,
but it si quite obviously out of date, with mod date set to Dec 6, 2018.

I have made an effort to find out what package this file belongs to as
follows:

  pkg info --file /lib/libthr.so.3
  pkg info --file libthr.so.3

In both cases I got back only the error:

   pkg: No package(s) matching <<filename>>

Please advise.  How do I get this file updated so as to restore the
system in question to something resembling a useful state.

Thanks in adavance for any assistance.